Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Real Thing

Lately when I've been swimming, about half way through I start dragging my butt. My stroke gets sloppier than normal, I feel like I'm just splashing around in the water and I want to stop. A couple weeks ago my friend Beeny tipped me off about a trick that she and her roommates do to keep up their energy during an extended workout. For them an extended workout is 45 - 60 minutes, my swim is usually about 30 minutes but hey, tired is tired right? Today I thought I'd give it a try. I bought a bottle of Coke and "de-fizzed" it. Then I mixed half Coke and half water in my Klean Kanteen and headed off to the pool. What a difference! I had energy throughout my entire swim and even swam an extra 150 yards. I probably could have done more but I swim on my lunch break and had to get back to work.
Generally I'm anti-pop. I think it's one of the worst things you could probably drink if you are trying to get in shape. However as a sports drink it seems to be pretty effective and for $1.65 for 500ml you can't beat the price. I'm still concerned about the high sugar content so next time I'm going to try one quarter Coke to three quarters water and see how that works.
Also, as a bonus my bottle of Coke claims that it will give me a free iTunes song. I've yet to figure it out though.

6 comments:

  1. You know, for a Nerd, you sure work out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I was thinking today how my "nerd" blog so far has been all working out and motivation stuff and no sci-fi. But then I was like "My blog is about whatever I think is cool right now." and de-stressed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Blaine, where do you swim? And when?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonny,
    I swim at the U of A West Pool during my lunch break. It's really nice now because school is out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice, I need to get started on that again. I miss swimming, but I hate doing it alone and always seem to quit after a few weeks :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only took up swimming in early December. I was never much of a swimmer but have basically taught myself using the interwebs. Try changing up your swimming workout every now and again. I was just swimming laps and started to get bored so I went online to Swimplan.com and generated some workouts to change things up. I'm thinking of taking some classes and learning some other strokes.

    ReplyDelete