Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nerding Out

What are you nerding out about lately? For me it's The Nerdist podcast and Mass Effect.
The Nerdist podcast is great because it's three nerds sitting around talking about their lives and the stuff they are nerding out over, or talking with a person they like. I love that being a nerd is "cool" now. I grew up a nerd and it was not a desirable thing to be. I think the explosion of pop culture and the internet has changed that. After trying to shun and hide my nerd roots trying to be cool for years I can now be a nerd again and be proud of it!

Kim and I have been playing Mass Effect for the past 15 hours or so. Not continuously for 15 hours, over the last few days. The game has been out for quite a long time so I'm really slow getting on the bandwagon. It's a lot like Knights of the Old Republic and I loved that game too. I love that the game is so expansive. You could just blast your way through this game and do the basic quests but you can also meander around exploring other systems and planets, talking to everyone you can, taking every side quest. That's what we're doing. It's going to take forever but it's so fun! Exploring different systems reminds me of this game I played back in the 90's but I can't remember the name. You traveled through space mining and salvaging to build up your ship. It used coreward and rimward as directions in space? I want to say Wing Commander? Maybe?

2 comments: